White Dove of the Desert

A detail of the beautiful Spanish Colonial architecture on the “White Dove of the Desert” – Mission San Xavier del Bac – founded as a Catholic Mission by Father Eusebio Kino in 1692. It is the oldest intact European structure in Arizona, built 1783 to 1797 by Ignacio Gaona and his native American O’Odham workforce. http://www.sanxaviermission.org/History.html Image […]

Pima County Courthouse

This photograph shows a Moorish & Spanish Colonial influenced architectural detail from the Pima County Courthouse in downtown Tucson, Arizona. Designed by Tucson architect Roy Place and completed in 1929, it replaced two earlier buildings, including the original courthouse built in 1868 when Tucson was the capital of the Arizona Territory. By 1912, when Arizona became the 48th state, the […]